The origin of Nanzih
The former name of Nanzih was Nam-A-Ken. The residents were descendants
of migrants from Zhangzhou and Cyuanzhou in Fujian Province, China in the
Cing Dynasty. The place that they eventually settled had many Aidia
Canthioides trees, called Nanmu in Chinese, on the riverside. Therefore
the village was named Nanzih Ken. During Japanese rule, the name was
abbreviated to Nanzih, the current official name. However, the local name
of Nam-A-Ken is still commonly used by the local populace.
Change of administrative region
During Japanese rule, the region belonged
to Nam-A-Ken of Fengshan County and Fengshan County was changed to Tainan
County in 1913. In September 1920 Tainan County was changed to Gangshan
village, Kaohsiung and Nam-A-Ken was collectively called Nanzih Jhuang.
On September 22, 1943 Nanzih Ken was listed in Nanzih district, Kaohsiung
(scope of Nanzih and Tuku). After Taiwan's restoration in 1945, it was named
the 19th district, Kaohsiung (scope of Nanzih and Tuku); in February 1946
it was merged with the 18th district (scope of Houjin) into the 12th
district (scope of Nanzih, Tuku and Houjin) and in March of the same year
it was re-merged with part of the 11th district (scope of Youchang,
Yuanzhonggang and Siayiantian) to create the Nanzih district.
The district is the door of northern
Kaohsiung, with Sun Yat-sen Freeway, North-South Highway, and Seashore
Highway entering into Kaohsiung City from the north of Yuanjhong Port and
adjacent to three towns of Nam-A-Ken, Houjin, and Youchang respectively.
Viewed geographically from Greater Kaohsiung Metropolis, Nanzih is also a
main junction of Fongshan, Gangshan, and Cishan, serving as
a pivot of transportation.
Nanzih District is situated in Shoushan—the northwest foot of Banpinshan, with
Houjin River winding through. It connects Dashe and Renwu Townships to
the east, and Zuoying District to the south, bordered by Kaohsiung Oil
Refinery. It also connects Yanchao and Ciaotou Townships to the north and
Zihquan Township to the west. Nanzih faces Taiwan Strait, with a vast
expanse and scattered villages.
Bus 6 from Zuoying South to Nanzih and return; Bus 301 from Jiachang via
the railroad station to Siaogang and return; Bus 29 from Zuoying South to
Nanzih and return; Bus 28 from Jiachang to the railroad station and
Natural and Cultural Environments
1. Surrounded by Houjin River, Nanzih River,
Dianbao River, and flanked by Banpinshan to the southeast, Nanzih
District boasts an agreeable urban landscape. It is also a university
town for recreation, tourism and education, including National University
of Kaohsiung, National Kaohsiung First University of Science and
Technology, and National Kaohsiung Marine University in the northern
area. The three schools unite to share resources with one another, making
Nanzih a modern university community rich in culture. Meanwhile,
Kaohsiung Metropolitan Park, banks of Houjin River, and seashore of
Yuanjhong Port, are all great spots for outings and relaxation. In
addition, the historical sites of Yang's Old House, Mazu Temple, Cing Fu
Temple at Tuku and De Ming Evening Market, Houjin Night Market all provide
excellent recreational arears for residents in Nanzih, Houjin and
2. During the Japanese rule, establishment
of the first sugar plant in the north (today's Ciaotou), the naval port
in the south, and No.6 Fuel Plant (today's Chinese Petroleum Corp.),
brought job opportunities and formed the northern sugar industry and
southern military base as well. Since the post-war period, export
processing zones have been established in this district by Ministry of
Economic Affairs, boosting the population from 8,000 in the early
Japanese occupation to over 160,000 today.
Total 25.8276 square meters; the second largest area in the eleven
districts of Kaohsiung city; smaller than Siaogang district.
Total 37 Villages, 790 Neighborhoods and 58,419 households
(as of Sep. 2007)
Total 168,163 residents; among them there are 84,046
male (49.98%) and 84,117 female (50.02%).