Skip to main content block

About us

  • Historical background

    The origin of Nanzih
    The former name of Nanzih was Nam-A-Ken. The residents were descendants of migrants from Zhangzhou and Cyuanzhou in Fujian Province, China in the Cing Dynasty. The place that they eventually settled had many Aidia Canthioides trees, called Nanmu in Chinese, on the riverside. Therefore the village was named Nanzih Ken. During Japanese rule, the name was abbreviated to Nanzih, the current official name. However, the local name of Nam-A-Ken is still commonly used by the local populace.

    Change of administrative region

    During Japanese rule, the region belonged to Nam-A-Ken of Fengshan County and Fengshan County was changed to Tainan County in 1913. In September 1920 Tainan County was changed to Gangshan village, Kaohsiung and Nam-A-Ken was collectively called Nanzih Jhuang. On September 22, 1943 Nanzih Ken was listed in Nanzih district, Kaohsiung (scope of Nanzih and Tuku). After Taiwan's restoration in 1945, it was named the 19th district, Kaohsiung (scope of Nanzih and Tuku); in February 1946 it was merged with the 18th district (scope of Houjin) into the 12th district (scope of Nanzih, Tuku and Houjin) and in March of the same year it was re-merged with part of the 11th district (scope of Youchang, Yuanzhonggang and Siayiantian) to create the Nanzih district.